01633 244233 Contact us

Statutory Declarations for Gender Recognition Certificates

What is a Gender Recognition Certificate?

A Gender Recognition Certificate allows you to have your affirmed gender legally recognised and means you can go on to:

  • Update your birth/adoption certificate; if it was registered in the UK
  • Get married or enter into a civil partnership in your affirmed gender
  • Update an existing marriage or civil partnership certificate; if it was registered in the UK
  • Have your affirmed gender on your death certificate

In order to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate, you need to have a legal professional witness and sign a Statutory Declaration.

What is a Statutory Declaration?

By definition, a Statutory Declaration is a formal statement made affirming that something is true to the best knowledge of the person making the declaration. It has to be signed in the presence of a solicitor, commissioner for oaths or notary public.

In the case of the Gender Recognition Certificate, there are different statutory declarations for:

  • single applicants
  • applicants who are married, or in a civil partnership
  • spouses or civil partners of applicants who intend to stay in their marriage or civil partnership

Guidance and statutory declarations for applicants can be found on the UK Goverment website.

How can we help?

At Harding Evans, our trusted team of solicitors are here to help. We will ensure that you have the correct paperwork for your circumstances, witness your declaration and sign your form, leaving you free to proceed with your Gender Recognition Certificate application.

Make an appointment

To make an appointment for your statutory declaration at either of our offices in Newport or Cardiff, please email hello@hevans.com, or complete the form on our contact page.

Share service