01633 244233 Contact us

11 Jun 2014

Family & Matrimonial

Victims of Domestic Violence

As reported in South Wales Argus this week, Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC),which independently assesses police forces and policing, has released a report expressing ‘significant concerns’ regarding how Gwent Police are dealing with reports of domestic violence from victims, with a lack of consistency across the force.

Harding Evans frequently deals with victims of domestic abuse who feel they are left with no option but to seek independent legal advice having reported matters to police.

Siobhan Downes, a solicitor in our Children Department commented, “It is becoming more and more common for us to be advising both women and men in relation to harassment and violence issues, often sadly in cases where this has been reported to the police already. It is always best to take legal advice In these circumstances since you may be able to obtain an injunction through the civil courts. Many also do not realise that there is still extensive legal aid funding in place for cases such as these to help with any court application and legal fees. Harassment and violence take many forms and this is not always something that the police will be willing to become heavily involved in.”

If you or anyone you know is experiencing problems with harassment or violence within a relationship contact our Family Department on 01633 244233 today for understanding and confidential advice.

Share post